The new authority replacing the Medicines Control Council is expected to clear a backlog of more than 2,000 applications
South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (Sahpra), have replaced the Medicines Control Council (MCC) with effect from June 1.
Before that, the MCC could not regulate medical devices and complementary medicines, as the MCC could only deal with medicines.
The government has signed the Medicines and Related Substances Amendment Act of 2008, but the Health Minister has to point a board to get the body operate.
Sahpra is the solution that the Health Department wanted to take to deal with the delay caused by the MCC, as it took much longer in approving new medicines and clinical trials comparing to the US or EU. Sahpra will also regulate foodstuffs, cosmetics, disinfectants and diagnostics.
"Sahpra’s new structure will follow a similar model to the US Food and Drug Administration in that it will be more independent than the MCC." "It will only be partly funded by the government with approximately 70% of funds coming from industry bodies, which will not only enhance the entity’s ability to attract and retain the necessary skills and resources it requires to function optimally, but is critical to its success.", said Erik Roos, Pharma Dynamics CEO.
Sahpra is hoped to be efficient and modernised, however South Africa’s poor operational environment and meagre access to healthcare cannot give it higher rankig as the other regions.
- Return to main page
- WHAT IS UNANNOUNCED AUDIT?
- Indian’s new regulation for Medic
- LIST OF NOTIFIED BODIES UNDER DIR
- Which countries require CE markin
- DO YOU WANT TO REGISTER YOUR PROD
- Calling Indian manufacturers!
- New regulation to be notes by Med
- The FDA will help Combination Pro
- WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOU TECHNICAL
- How to report serious incidents o
- Types of reports for the implemen
- Update in Post-Market Surveillanc
- New medical devices rules approve
- Guidance for clinical evaluation
- Mutual recognition of evaluations
- Japan’s PMDA is offering meetings
- CFDA presents new classification
- NEW FDA APPLICATION FEE FOR MEDIC
- Significant points on how to comp
- New MDR and IVDR requirements won
- EXTENDED TIMELINE for MEDDEV 2.7/
- MEDICAL DEVICES IN MALAYSIA SHOUL
- How to prepare your Design Histor
- NEW FDA registration page is avai
- South Africa’s new regulation - S
- FDA:Dates of compliance with UDI
- New regulations in Vietnam: Regis
- FSC: Reference Countries
- Welcome to CMC